Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Season's greetings

Recipes on plum cakes in special interviews with chefs, christmas special desserts in restaurants, red and white santa caps and christmas tree decorations on sale, santa clauses too in local markets ... everything is red, green and white! It may be an indicator of western imperialism, the impact of American television shows all running new and old episodes of 'the christmas spirit' but the way Indians, a majority of them non-Christians, have taken to Christmas and made it their own seems to hold out a hope. Hope of harmony, of cross cultural celebration, of festive spirit transcending religious barriers.
But something prevents me from making any such inferences. For the past few years Diwali and Id have been falling around the same time- a gap of a day or two between them making for one long holiday. The markets were buzzing, everything was gay and glittery. I sent out greetings on behalf of my family to all on our email list wishing them for both festivals. I know it was naive on my part but i didn't anticipate the reactions. Some were simply astounded that I clubbed the festivals together. Some were angry that i had tarnished my grandparents' name by making them wish on Id. One relative, living in the gulf, replied saying it made sense to wish him as he was in a 'muslim country' but why subject others to it. Most of them noticed and had something to say, either immediately or through the whispering network that characterise family communications. none of them ever cringe when wished 'a merry christmas' or reply similarly to greetings on the 'season of giving'.
so as for composite culture, we arent there yet. Meanwhile, I will return to polish off the plum cake.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

how come I never got either of the wishes..

btw that reminds me you didnt wish me merry xmas either,,though it makes sense to wish me as I am in a 'christian land' and some others wished may not be!! ;-)

oh ..and though having called this a 'christian land'...i have my reservations about that,,going by the population of Indians and Pakis and bangladeshi's here, many times it seems anything but a christian land..

well watever..just send some 'polished' plum cake across..

(this has become a mini post eh?)

Anonymous said...

oh man ..i meant send the 'unpolished' rum cake ..er.. plum cake across(ya ya having a hangover!)

rama srinivasan said...

so that's where all the plum cake disappeared.
festivals have no use for me except for the food they have to offer. religion will never bring harmony, hope. i don't wish ppl on such occasions

janaki_me said...

plum cake has rum, so relax! and england calls itself 'multicultural'now.

Anonymous said...

Rama - What in this world is worthy enough for you to wish people?

Janaki- England has only one culture .'the pub culture' ..honestly!!!!!

rama srinivasan said...

@anu: that's an easy one: April 1!!!

janaki_me said...

i will sure like english culture then!!! and its a great place to greet people.