Saturday, January 27, 2007

over (with) a cup of tea

I always throw used tea leaves into the dustbin. I hate the idea of tea leaves going down the drain. They could clog the drain.

But that once, while I didn’t wash them down the drain, I didn’t throw them away either. I left them on the strainer.

They stained the strainer. They dried up. They threatened to fly. So I wet them under the tap. They stained everything that came under them. It took much heavy duty dish wash and detergent to get rid of those stains.

A year later, I threw them away.

Wondering why I made that tea then anyway.

It wasn’t the time, just before lunch. My appetite remained unsteady for a long time.

It wasn’t my kind of tea either. Too much sugar. Tea leaves boiled for too long. Too sweet and too bitter at the same time.

Am now trying to pacify the strainer. And we can’t work it out over a cup of tea.

6 comments:

rama srinivasan said...

huh? what hit u? are u okay?

Minerva said...

:-)....I spent my entire sunday thinking ..wat could the cup of tea that left the stain imply..and ...look wat it turned out to be...she got hit on her head???

janaki_me said...

thanks both of u. u inspire me so much.

Minerva said...

aww..cmon..u can do better than that ;-)))))

RE said...

Quid? what does this MEAN?

Monideepa said...

Intriguing. Was it the stain of the tea leaves or the memory of that day they soaked in?