Friday, January 16, 2009

prayer and me

Mac's post on prayer reminds me of the time I used to be a believer. My dad was a card-carrying atheist then, and I remember numerous occasions when my mom and her two daughters would visit temples with dad choosing to stay outside and wait. I cant really remember praying in temples, even though I used to follow the rituals, carry milk for the shiv linga and recite the shlokas my mom had dinned into our heads (which I can recall to this day.

I only remember praying with all devotion and total fervour everyday for one particular thing. As a 4 year old when I expressed a desire for a sister, my mom, then pregnant, saw one more opportunity to minimise the possible impact of her husband's athiesm on her child. 'Pray and God will grant your wish' she told me and there I was, on my knees absorbed in prayer in front of the little puja box of our house everyday, for probably most of her pregnancy.

I dont think I prayed like that, with such faith, ever after. Years later I declared myself an athiest, exactly what my mom feared; ironically precisely at the time my dad did an about turn. I dont stand outside temples though, finding enough to interest and amuse me on those few occasions I find myself inside.

Even though I dont believe in any God anymore, I can only say that God, the person who doesnt exist, did grant me the one thing I asked for. Thats the only way I can put my brief encounter with faith.

5 comments:

Rama said...

ha ha. i wonder if that was the thing that put u off god for good

janaki_me said...

i was waiting for that comment. minerva is bound to say the same only more sharply.

rama srinivasan said...

yeah, where is minerva?

Minerva said...

Maybe the god guy can't handle more than 2 of you at a given time?

janaki_me said...

so he granted the wish and ceased to exist? did i really make that happen?